© Copyright 2023 Foster Provost. All Rights Reserved.
Professor Provost studies data science and its alignment with business problems.
His current main research interests are:
- predictive analytics
- mining ultra-fine-grained data on behavior and social connections
- human+machine intelligence systems (including crowdsourcing for analytics and human-machine loops)
- explaining the decisions made by complex systems
- causal inference at massive scale
- ethical implications of data science, including impacts on privacy and civil rights
Prof. Provost’s research has won numerous awards, including the ACM
SIGKDD Test of Time Award, the Best European Research Paper Award, Best Paper awards in top venues across four decades, the INFORMS Design Science Award, IBM Faculty Awards, a President’s Award from what’s now Verizon, and more.
Prof. Provost served as Editor-in-Chief of the journal Machine Learning from 2004-2010.
Prof. Provost co-founded several successful companies, including Detectica, Dstillery, and Integral Ad Science. He advises companies on data science and AI/ML strategy.